Tommy’s War is a range of British and Empire figures modeled on the British and Empire armed forces of the First World War,
World War One offers fascinating stories of bravery and humanity and the story of the Footballer of Loos is one of those extraordinary stories that if were not so well documented would be unbelievable.
The 18th (County of London) Battalion, the London Regiment (London Irish Rifles)” were a Territorial army unit based in London and with the rest of the territorials were mobilised in 1914. By 1915 they were on the Ypres salient and one of their most famous moments came in the Loos offensive when, contrary to orders, Rifleman Frank Edwards took a football with him as the Battalion went ‘over the top’ and assaulted the German trenches.
Passing the ball from man to man the Rifles attacked the German lines, cheered on by a neighbouring French regiment. During the assault they had to pass through a gas cloud (unfortunately British gas, the first time the British army had used such a weapon).
The figure is depicted wearing his PH gas hood, which offered rudimentary protection from gas but was claustrophobic and uncomfortable. A football is included in the kit.
The figure has been sculpted by Nino Pizzichemi and the box artwork is by Gunther Sternberg.
Please note the following:
- The figure is advertised at 1/32 scale . However, the figures measure approximately 56-58mm foot to eye, so although marked as 54mm they may not be compatible with other figure or vehicle ranges. If you have any questions regarding scale then please don’t hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The figure is cast in polyurethane resin and is supplied unpainted, the kit requires cleaning and assembly and is not suitable for children under the age of 12. Please always take care when working with resin. Work in a well ventilated room or wear a face mask as protection from resin dust.
- The scenic base shown on the box art is NOT included with the figure.
- All figures in the Tommy’s War range include a photo etch rifle sling where appropriate.
- All images, logos and references remain the property of Tommy’s War Limited, and cannot be reproduced without the express permission of the business owner.